POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Optical Mini-Mouse : Re: Optical Mini-Mouse Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical Mini-Mouse
From: scott
Date: 7 Sep 2007 03:11:19
Message: <46e0f997$1@news.povray.org>
>> Good luck in finding even an expensive mouse without parts from China :-)
>
> I was going to say... aren't *all* manufactured goods from China?
>
> (Certainly we don't manufacture anything in the UK any more. You see, we
> have these pesky *laws* that say the process has to be *safe* for the
> people employed to do it, and this makes it kind of *expensive*...)

That really doesn't have anything to do with it, anything made in China that
is organised by a reputable company will have far stricter safety and
quality "rules" than you get in the UK.  From the point of view of, say,
Nokia/BMW/Dell/whoever, they will have a set of guidelines that *all*
suppliers must follow, whether they are based in Finland, UK, Hungary Mexico
or China.  It just so happens that the Chinese can follow those guidelines
and quality levels for far less money than most other countries.  That is
because people are willing to work for orders of magnitude less money than
in other countries, and when you can go for a meal in a restaurant for
around $2 you realise why.

Take this article from the bbc:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6927156.stm

The key part is the manufacturer started doing something outside of the
guidelines (ie using a non-approved paint supplier) and Fisher Price failed
to notice this.  How on Earth can you guarantee the quality of products you
are selling if you don't even know which companies are supplying the parts!

For any normal product that is manufactured you have a list of component
part details and the suppliers, a process plan that shows exactly each step
of the assembly and what parts are used, and then once mass production is
about to start you AUDIT the factory to make sure everything is as it should
be.  If Fisher Price failed to do this then it is totally their fault.
Suppliers always try to cut corners to save money, it's not something
confined to China.