POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustrated shopper smashes self-checkout machine : Re: Frustrated shopper smashes self-checkout machine Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustrated shopper smashes self-checkout machine
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Sep 2007 16:23:26
Message: <46e061be$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:34:44 +0200, scott wrote:

> Also, has anyone ever succeeded in getting anywhere near the speed that
> you can beep things through at a normal check-out?  There seems to be a
> deliberate 1 or 2 second delay after scanning each item before it will
> let you scan another.

Actually, the ones here at Smith's are pretty quick.  The longer delay is
in the scale recognising that the item is in fact in the bag.

The thing that pisses me off the most, though, is when people go up to
the self-checkout lanes with $600 worth of groceries, some of which they
can't take off the cart and place on the scale.  They spend more time
shuffling the bags around so everything will *fit* on the little shelf
the scale is attached to.

Those things are a convenience for things buying a handful of things -
but it seems people get more and more illiterate as time goes on; "15
items or less" does not mean "735 items is *fine*".

Jim