POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : DEM heightfield questions : Re: DEM heightfield questions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DEM heightfield questions
From: millican
Date: 6 Sep 2007 13:39:59
Message: <46e03b6e@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:

> Leroy <lrw### [at] joplincom> wrote:
>> SharkD wrote:
>> > I tried using that program, but couldn't get it to work. It keeps
>> > telling me that it can't read the input file. I emailed the author, but
>> > haven't received a reply yet.
>> >
>> I rework that program a long time ago. I can't remember just what I did
>> to it. I run win98 and my version works for me.
>> I also wrote the author telling him of my fixes and never heard from him.
>
> I want to build a road across my heightfield. What's the best way of going
> about doing this? It seems a complex process that involves modifying a
> high-resolution heightfield image, or converting the heightfield into a
> mesh and editing it as well as the road in an external application.

I've used Terragen to convert DEM files to something (heightfield or mesh?)
for POV. As for the road, you can create a spline from a 2d scan of
something like a road map, create differnet points along the spline, use
the trace function to retrieve the "elevation" from your heightfield at
that point of the road. The smaller the intervals of the points and/or
connectors between the points that make up the spline road, the more
accurate and fluid it will appear. If you're still interested, I have a
file or rendered image at home that I could send or post.