POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: scott
Date: 6 Sep 2007 03:46:03
Message: <46dfb03b$1@news.povray.org>
> Whatever it is, that is what you see. If it moves faster than 50 Hz you
> either see it not moving at all or, viewed in the right direction, as a
> semitransparent surface. If you can prove that you can see something
> moving at, say 200 Hz, I have a couple of friends working on the retina
> that would be most interested in such a physiological anomality. ;)

It's easy to see things moving above 200 Hz.

One method is to light the thing with a special light source (eg a pulse at
190 Hz or something).  On high speed machinery they use this technique so
that operators don't accidentally put their fingers into something moving at
200 Hz....

Second is to quickly move your eye from side to side to try and "follow" the
movement.  You eye can move at an incredible angular speed to follow
objects, and in doing so will make the object you are tracking look less
blurred while the surroundings get blurred.  Try flicking your eyes from
left to right as you watch a wheel that is spinning too fast to see, as you
do it some parts become clear.  If you do this while looking at the beam of
a cheap projector (one that uses a rotating colour wheel) you will see the
RGB primaries separated because they are hitting different parts of your
retina (I assume this changes at 60 * 3 = 180 Hz).