POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Optical Mini-Mouse : Re: Optical Mini-Mouse Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical Mini-Mouse
From: scott
Date: 6 Sep 2007 03:34:22
Message: <46dfad7e$1@news.povray.org>
> The other day my 5th mini-mouse in a year quit,
> the left-click button went, all of them were cheapies
> with parts from China.

Good luck in finding even an expensive mouse without parts from China :-)

> I'd go look up that project where a guy rigged the
> mouse sensor to work as a camera, (they're sort of
> low resolution at 18x18).

I was thinking the same about using the camera in my Wii remote to actually
look at stuff (it currently just detects the position of a bank of LEDs
above the TV).  It must be higher resolution than 18x18 because there are 8
or 10 LEDs and it can detect position and orientation pretty accurately.
I'm sure someone has had the idea already...

> So I googled looking to see if anyone had
> actually managed to do that yet, and what pops up?
> The Chineese mouse chip manufacturer has patented
> the idea, how is that even legal? It wasn't their idea,

How do you know it wasn't their idea?  If you have found someone else who
filed a patent before them, then I'll let you off :-)

> they didn't invent barcodes, it's just a camera, they
> haven't even actually built a working one, and they're
> looking to get over on some mouse maker putting a
> barcode reader in a mouse.

Well to be fair, it seems like they invented a cheap and efficient way of
detecting position on a surface using a (very) low resolution camera.  If
they invent a way to adapt that to reading barcodes, then that seems like
something patentable to me...  It's probably got some advantages over
traditional bar-code readers.  I'm pretty sure the ones you see in
supermarkets are/were covered by a load of patents - it seems like quite a
profitable industry in the eyes of supermarkets etc.