POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 5 Sep 2007 13:19:04
Message: <46dee508$1@news.povray.org>
>> Pretty tiny compared to the 20 W or so my laptop uses when idling.
>
> Idling? Heck, if ACPI is trustable enough, I've managed to use ~35W max
> on full load with my laptop (and somewhere around 15W while running just
> SSH-over-bluetooth oslt). These babies are getting more and more
> energy-efficient - and that's a good thing.

The maximum load I saw was 40W (during the boot sequence - when
everything turns on at once). In normal running it hovers somewhere
below that.

>> (But then... no 3D graphics, only 1 HD, lower clock speed, etc.)
>
> Well yeah, poor 3D, 1HD, 2x1,8GHz C2D, 15" TFT etc (the screen backlight
> is one big consumer for me, to be noted).

I didn't check specifically. My laptop has a very dim LCD with poor
saturation and a horribly narrow viewing angle. No matter how you
position your head, 50% of the display is always inverted...

>> We discovered that if you boot into Linux while the fans are off, they
>> stay off. And if they're running when Linux starts, they stay running -
>> no matter how cold the machine gets. Weird, eh?
>
> I'd guess you were having broken APM/ACPI -support to get some effect
> like that. Not good, though, while it might burn your lap AND defect
> your laptop.

Should be noted: It's an *ancient* laptop!

(Now *my* laptop seems to do all this in hardware, not software. Doesn't
matter what software is running, the fan turns on and off now and then...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/