POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: scott
Date: 4 Sep 2007 04:31:08
Message: <46dd17cc$1@news.povray.org>
>> Huh?  You are saying that they deliberately make speakers less efficient
>> so that a higher voltage can be used to drive them?  I've never heard
>> that before.
>
> Yes.

Interesting, how do they do that?  Most speakers (electrically speaking)
seem very simple to me, just a cross-over network and then a coil of wire.
Hard to see how you could deliberately make the system less efficient
without just plonking a huge 50W resistor in series (which would totally
screw up the quality of the sound).

> Hmm, I think my amplifier (nothing special) is rated at 60 W per channel.
> (IIRC, into 8 ohms at 1 kHz.)

And what happens when you actually output 60 W in your room?  BTW on most
amplifiers you need to get the input signal at the right level (not too high
or too low) to get the quoted maximum output power.  I guess also your ears
work on a logarithmic scale, so 60 W is probably not as much "louder" than
20 W as you would think just by looking at the numbers.

> Wait... the *voltage* changes depending on how much you use it? That's
> odd. I thought that potential difference was always constant, and it's
> only *current* that changes...

That's only true if all the cables in the whole system have precisely zero
resistance, which they don't.