POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : _The History of Science_ comments : Re: _The History of Science_ comments Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: _The History of Science_ comments
From: Jim Charter
Date: 3 Sep 2007 20:44:08
Message: <46dcaa58$1@news.povray.org>
William Tracy wrote:
> I've been looking at the images for a couple of days here.
>
> Honestly, I think there's no contest. Michael Hunter's "Black Death" is
> the best image here, and the best image I've seen in the tc-rtc/irtc in
> a long time. It looks to me like someone took a 14th or 15th century
> manuscript and digitally edited in photographs over the drawings. :-)
> This is a piece of art.
>
> James Charter's "X-Ray" is probably my pick for second place, and in my
> mind "Science at Work" and "Pool of Science" are tied for third place. I
> have to echo Shay's comment that the pool could really use some
> reflections. :-)
>
> Looking at the scores, I see that my opinions are not widely held. :-)
> Ah, well. Fantastic work.

The scores are a puzzle to me, seems the winner is the one that gets the
most responses of average or better.  For the system to work it seems
that every reviewer must judge every work.  If you look at the current
scores as ratios of points/potential points the ranking would be
different.  But that is not 'fair' either.  Seems the only fair way
would be to enforce that all review all, or else somehow attribute each
entry a dummy average score for each potential reviewer, then have the
reviewers in effect altering one of the scores up or down from average.