POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 2 Sep 2007 16:04:04
Message: <46db1734$1@news.povray.org>
>> I just find it bizzare that this huge washing machine, spinning away
>> to violently that it's deafening to stand near and you'd probably be
>> injured if you touched it, uses about 5% of the power of a teeny
>> little kettle. Far out!
>
> And then you'd probably also be surprised how loud your speakers are
> when you feed just 5 W into them.

Oh... no, not really. I mean, sound vibrations are really, *really*
tiny. (Think about it; even when the sound is turned up painfully loud,
the speaker cones move by such a tiny amount you can't even see them
move at all!)

AFAIK, the reason we have 200 W amplifiers and speakers isn't so much
because it takes that much electricity to move air around, but to reduce
RF pickup in the speaker wire... (Or rather, to reduce the
*signifigance* of such pickup.)

>> PS. 230 V? I thought it was 250 V...
>
> IIRC the spec was changed from 240 +/- 10% to 230 +15% -5% (or something
> equally stupid) to get us inline with Europe.  Doesn't your meter tell
> you the voltage too?

The mater claims 249.98 V.

Also, 49.97 Hz. (So much for "they keep it to exactly 50 Hz to help all
those clocks that use it". The frequency waivers all over the place!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/