POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 2 Sep 2007 15:59:41
Message: <46db162d$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> I was quite surprised that my PC uses 4 W even when it's "turned off"...
>>
>> Does it support Wake on LAN?  If so, then there's got to be some power
>> consumed to keep it awake enough to recognise a signal coming in
>> saying "wake up now".
>
> Yes, but 4 W!!!!  4 mW should be enough.

I notice that, for example, the battery charger for my mouse continues
to charge even while the PC is "off". Also, the LEDs on my MIDI
interface still twinkle. And the USB light on my external audio card
still lights up. All of these things go out when I unplug the PC from
the mains. (Or just flip the switch on the PSU.)

Even so... that takes it up to, what, 19 mW? I don't know what the other
3,981 W is for...

(That's actually slightly unfair. The meter is only accurate to the
nearest 1 W, and I don't know what its rounding mode is...)

Convesly, the PC uses *less* power than I was expecting when turned on,
so...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/