POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 2 Sep 2007 11:05:34
Message: <46dad13e$1@news.povray.org>
news:46dac2d2$1@news.povray.org...
> scott wrote:
>> That's about the most you will get out of a UK mains socket (230 V x 13
>> amps), but you'll probably find your electric cooker uses more when you
>> have everything switched on (it's usually wired directly into the
>> distribution board, so probably can't test it with your gizmo).
>
> You're right: I can't. I have a gas cooker. ;-)

> I just find it bizzare that this huge washing machine, spinning away to
> violently that it's deafening to stand near and you'd probably be injured
> if you touched it, uses about 5% of the power of a teeny little kettle.
> Far out!

A. Didn't you say it uses 600W at final spin speed?  That's 20% of 3000...

B. It only seems bizarre because you already had decided on the way things
are before learning even the first fact about them (ie. do an experiment
like this, or study electrical theory).  It's really cool to go "wow!" and
be excited about new discoveries.  But you are kinda saying that things you
haven't seen should behave exactly as your head imagined it, rather than
work the way it always has done, only waiting for you to come along and
discover it.  Actually, now I think of it, you do that rather too often,
which is unfortunate because you limit yourself then...   :'-s

N'est-ce-pas?   ;-)