POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 2 Sep 2007 10:04:02
Message: <46dac2d2$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> The most thirsty device I've found so far is... the kettle. It uses in
>> excess of 3,000 W for the entire duration that you try to boil water
>> with it.
>
> That's about the most you will get out of a UK mains socket (230 V x 13
> amps), but you'll probably find your electric cooker uses more when you
> have everything switched on (it's usually wired directly into the
> distribution board, so probably can't test it with your gizmo).

You're right: I can't. I have a gas cooker. ;-)

I just find it bizzare that this huge washing machine, spinning away to
violently that it's deafening to stand near and you'd probably be
injured if you touched it, uses about 5% of the power of a teeny little
kettle. Far out!

I'm currently measuring the fridge. Surprisingly, it uses a whole 100 W
when the compressor is running. (I was expecting lower.) OTOH, it
doesn't run for long...

PS. 230 V? I thought it was 250 V...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/