POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Physically accurate wax simulation : Re: Physically accurate wax simulation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically accurate wax simulation
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 1 Sep 2007 19:57:49
Message: <46d9fc7d$1@news.povray.org>
Charles wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> For a research project, I need to make a physically accurate simulation of
> candlewax. I have taken a photo of what it looks like when I embed a small
> black bead in a cube of wax and shine a light on it:
>
> http://www.turingbirds.com/personal/random/wax.png
>
> However, in POVRay, I cannot get the wax material to interact with the
> sphere:
>
> http://www.turingbirds.com/personal/random/nogoodrender.png
> http://www.turingbirds.com/personal/random/wax.pov
>
> Am I forgetting something, or is POVRay incapable of rendering this (without
> hacks, e.g. blur)?

Basically, your CG-wax is very "thin" (density-wise), you can raise that
simply by adding a density{rgb 10} to raise it tenfold, for example. I
do that all the time for my clouds, so they are less translucent, and
works best with scattering media of course.
As for the blurriness, you'd probably have to use an arealight, maybe
even an area of point light sources to achieve what you're aiming for.

A given fact is that lightrays won't be bent inside media, so achieving
realistic wax is, at least with the current and official povray, not
possible by just using a simple media container.

If you make layers of objects, their surface irregular/normal-mapped,
and use photons for the media-calculation, you might get somewhere, but
the rendering times will skyrocket tremendously.

Just a couple thoughts right off the top of my head, probably not worth
much. 2 cents maybe. ;-)

Regards,
Tim

--