POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OOXML - ISO - MS - Credibility : Re: OOXML - ISO - MS - Credibility Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OOXML - ISO - MS - Credibility
From: Tom Austin
Date: 31 Aug 2007 14:33:17
Message: <46d85eed$1@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
> Denmark and several other countries are committed to using only open
> standards for all government communication within a few years. That's both
> internal government communication and communication between government and
> citizen and organizations as far as I understand. Any electronic format that
> isn't open would be banned. There are similar plans for the EU as a whole I
> believe, though they're not as far progressed. Microsoft not using an open
> format would lead to huge losses for them, so they fight as much as they can
> to convince the deciding organs that their format is an open standard, even
> though they have no interest in it being open at all.

One of the many reasons that MS is pushing in this direction.  To be
honest, I think they will succeed.  They have become experts at lobbying
and turning things to their favor.  There have been very few cases where
they have not succeeded.  To be honest, I don't really care to see MS
get stomped - I only would like to see more true competition based on
quality, not money.  It was nice being able to choose between Quattro
and Excel or Word and WordPerfect.  In a mono world you are forced to
eat what ever crap is fed your way.

Tom