POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22 : Re: The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22
From: Alain
Date: 31 Aug 2007 14:26:01
Message: <46d85d39@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/31 06:57:
>   In the new beta the behavior of the maximum trace level has been changed
> a bit. Now the trace level is *not* incremented for objects which do not
> have reflection nor ior (but which may be transparent or semi-transparent).
>
>   This means that now things like media containers and other transparent
> objects (which do not have reflection nor ior) do not require a larger
> max_trace level to work. This allows having numerous transparent containers
> (and other such objects) and reflecting/refracting objects using a smaller
> max_trace_level, usually making the rendering faster. There's basically
> no limit on how many transparent objects (w/o reflection/ior) you can have
> one in front of the other.
>
>   As this is an experimental new feature it would require extensive testing.
> I would appreciate if the community would help me testing this thoroughly.

Test going: 2500 transparent spheres in a cluster.
No global_settings section. So far so good. Some areas have more that 200
spheres to cross.
Specular highlights apears on surfaces separated from the light by over 20
surfaces, seen trough about as many other surfaces.

--
Alain
Important letters that contain no errors will develop errors in the mail.