POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22 : The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22
From: Warp
Date: 31 Aug 2007 06:57:38
Message: <46d7f422@news.povray.org>
In the new beta the behavior of the maximum trace level has been changed
a bit. Now the trace level is *not* incremented for objects which do not
have reflection nor ior (but which may be transparent or semi-transparent).

  This means that now things like media containers and other transparent
objects (which do not have reflection nor ior) do not require a larger
max_trace level to work. This allows having numerous transparent containers
(and other such objects) and reflecting/refracting objects using a smaller
max_trace_level, usually making the rendering faster. There's basically
no limit on how many transparent objects (w/o reflection/ior) you can have
one in front of the other.

  As this is an experimental new feature it would require extensive testing.
I would appreciate if the community would help me testing this thoroughly.

--
                                                          - Warp