POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image pricing : Re: Image pricing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:51:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image pricing
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Aug 2007 06:11:40
Message: <46d5465c$1@news.povray.org>
Slime schrieb:
> Someone from Italy claims to be opening a "bowling club" and has asked to
> buy the image http://www.slimeland.com/images/pictures/SpaceBowling.jpg for
> one of their walls. I and the other guy who made it have no problem with
> this, but we have no idea what price to ask, and no experience to even get a
> ballpark figure.
>
> What sort of price is reasonable for this sort of thing? Should it change if
> we have to go to the trouble of doing a high resolution render for him (and
> how much)?

For a print to be used for private purposes it usually makes sense to
have the pricing for the image itself not higher than the costs for
printing and adequately framing the image.  For use in a business
location you can exceed this since the material costs are regarded more
secondary and usually a much higher value lies in a well suited image
motive for the customer.  This is for selling printed images and as said
only for the price of the image motive itself (add printing and
supplementary costs like for a larger render).

In general i would be careful with sending out high resolution image
files to people who want to print it themselves.  Even if you have a
clear contract with the customer saying he is only entitled to do a
single print the file will usually go through the hands of others who do
not feel bound to any contract.  If your customer insists on getting the
digital image i would make the pricing more similar to a volume use
license for a custom image.

-- Christoph