POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Huge identity theft from recruitment site Monster.com : Re: Huge identity theft from recruitment site Monster.com Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Huge identity theft from recruitment site Monster.com
From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2007 08:29:25
Message: <46d41525$1@news.povray.org>
> The details of 1.3 to 1.6 million people were stolen from the US job serch
> site, Monster.com and are using it for trojan and spear-phishing attacks.
> Their aim is to get at people's bank money (again).
>
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=770020119&eid=-257
>  "The Monster.com mess
>  The last thing you need when you're unemployed is a bank account that's
> suddenly emptied. But that's exactly what some unwary users of US
> employment search site Monster.com faced after identity thieves made off
> with the personal information of more than a million people looking for
> jobs..."
> Looks like it's been going on for months.  I hope none of you were
> affected by this.

As I read it, they simply collected a mass of publicly available data (using
a stolen log-in, but AIUI any recruiting company has access to the data in
question), and used it to send scam emails.

I guess it made the news because it's surprising monster.com allows this
sort of automatic data collection.  Of course sooner or later it is going to
be used for malicious purposes.