POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Skies and Clouds : Re: Skies and Clouds Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skies and Clouds
From: Warp
Date: 26 Aug 2007 03:39:54
Message: <46d12e49@news.povray.org>
fls13 <fls### [at] netzeronet> wrote:
> Depends on what your goals are. A slight rotation of the clouds sphere gives
> a completely different look and when you combine that with the variations in
> the skyspheres, for me, it's quick and easy to get whatever and exactly what
> you want.

  You can achieve the same thing with a translate on the plane.

  The problem with using a sphere is that you need to make it really
large and put its origin very far away (below) the camera for it to
look realistic, and objects that large might present rendering artifacts
due to limits in the floating point calculations.

  One common mistake (even present in the povray documentation) is to
center the could sphere at the camera. This, of course, makes no sense
and doesn't even begin to simulate real clouds. Real clouds are not
located on the surface of a sphere centered at the viewer's location.

--
                                                          - Warp