POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Conversion : Re: Conversion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conversion
From: John VanSickle
Date: 24 Aug 2007 18:51:07
Message: <46cf60db@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> David Buck wrote:
>>
>>> Very strange.  When POV-Ray was first written, there were no .obj,
>>> .mdl or .3ds formats.  POV-Ray used its own format which developed
>>> into a sophisticated programming language for scene design.  Because
>>> of this design, we are able to do amazing things with POV-Ray which
>>> can't be done with traditional scanline algorithms working on polygon
>>> meshes. The results can be breath-taking and are IMHO unrivaled in
>>> the scanline world.
>>

>> Even Pixar's renderer turns to ray-tracing for some of its effects.
>
> I thought it was all raytraced, at least for the final scenes.

Ray tracing was added to their renderer for Cars.  Up until then their
renderer was a z-buffer thingy.  Even now the ray-tracing is only used
for shading reflective surfaces and ambient occlusion.  The ray-tracing
is only used to trace objects near the reflective surface (for
performance reasons); objects beyond that distance are represented using
environment maps.  Things which are not reflective use other shading
techniques.  Once the object is shaded it is z-buffered in regardless of
how it was shaded.  You can find their papers at http://graphics.pixar.com

Regards,
John