POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Conversion : Re: Conversion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conversion
From: Warp
Date: 23 Aug 2007 04:45:50
Message: <46cd493d@news.povray.org>
RusHHouR <gee### [at] mailnu> wrote:
> To think I could have spent this time learning 3dsm or maya
> instead...

  Some people do not have that kind of spare money and they have moral
standards high enough to not to use them illegally.

> Cant some genious just make a pov-scene-to-single-mesh converter program.
> Please.

  It's just not possible without replicating at least half of the entire
POV-Ray rendering engine. This is because objects can be created
programmatically according to other objects, patterns and pigments.
A converter would have to actually replicate an almost complete raytracer
to do this.
  And of course there's the issue of tesselating objects. In some cases
it can be a pretty difficult task (for example it's possible in POV-Ray
to create infinite non-planar surfaces, which pose a big problem for
tesselation).

--
                                                          - Warp