POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Conversion : Re: Conversion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conversion
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 23 Aug 2007 00:47:09
Message: <46cd114d@news.povray.org>
>> So... there are NO ways of converting an object consisting of several
>> shapes
>> made in POV-Ray to .obj, .mdl, .3ds, .any-bigger-standard-type-of-mesh?
>> The
>> links section is funny. The conversion tools that doesnt have broken
>> links
>> hasnt developed since 1998...
>>
>> Why, WHY was I decieved to actually trying to learn the basics of this
>> program. Its created contents are of no use to anyone outside the POV
>> realms... To think I could have spent this time learning 3dsm or maya
>> instead...

If you really need to get a mesh out of POV from a finite object you can use
something like Ingo's mesh making macros.
http://members.home.nl/seedseven/
Then export the mesh with PoseRay, and save it as an OBJ format.

It IS much easier to model simple objects with a good GUI, that doesn't
take away from POVs usefulness. Autocad is about $4000 USD.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8446723
If you have more money than time that might be the way to go.

As for the web site, I'm sure Chris Cason has better things to do than to
check the links. The current state of computer graphics as a hobby includes
many tools and modelers that are not specific to POV, many are mid-range
priced, or free, but of questionable quality. Many of the free programs are
single programmer projects that one person created in thier spare time,
and once something works right, if no money is involved, they often move
on to greener pastures, exciting new projects, etc., instead of making
better versions. Fortunately, this isn't the case for POV, new improved
versions are in the works.

Once you get used to editing meshes in something like Wings3d,  or Silo
you might find yourself thinking it would be faster to hand code stuff in
POV.