POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : transparent objects appear opaque : Re: transparent objects appear opaque Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: transparent objects appear opaque
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 18 Aug 2007 20:18:35
Message: <46c78c5b@news.povray.org>
>>  (One cool developement idea for povray would be, I think, that if a
>> surface has transparency, no reflection and no ior, iow. rays just pass
>> through unmodified (just taking the color of the surface), povray could
>> skip incrementing the recursion counter. That way you could have and
>> indefinite amount of transparent surfaces even if max_trace_level is
>> small.)

My thought would be that after a ray hits the max trace depth it should
ignore transmit, filter and reflection for that hit, and return a pigment
color instead of just returning black. In many cases where there is
multiple semi-transparent, or partially colored reflections, this "guess"
would result in a pixel that (after being shaded by the first hits) would
be somewhat correct. In other cases you'd get multi-color speckling,
but that is just similar to the black speckling we have now.