POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : aa: am2 : aa: am2 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  aa: am2
From: St
Date: 18 Aug 2007 14:43:42
Message: <46c73dde$1@news.povray.org>
Hey all,

   I'm working on a scene where I have a problem with some horizontal lines,
and yes, the problem is antialiasing. The thing is, I've tried +a0.0 +am2
and there's really not a lot of difference in this particular part of the
scene, still jaggies even though the scene as a whole does look better.

   Anyway, these horizontal lines are really probably about 15 - 20 degrees
to the horizontal in the actual image - hence the jaggies.

    Now to the point. ;) I did a few experiments* where I used +a0.0 +am1
and the same but with +am3, and there was a significant difference in speed:

    o-     +a0.0 +am1  = 35 secs

    o-         "     +am2  = 2:30 secs

    o-         "     +am3  = 36 secs

    o-    +a0.0    ---    = 39 secs

  * These experiments included a small selection in the winPoV render
window - I used the exact select dimensions for each render used in this
mini-experiment.

    Does PoV-Ray not recognise +am1, +am3?

     The scene still rendered with +am1, +am3, but what did it really
render? Also, +a0.0 on its own took longer(!) I thought when I tried it, it
would be quicker than +am1 or +am3.

    Second from last question, (silly question too): what does the 'am'
stand for?

    Lastly, how can I improve these jaggies?

      ~Steve~