POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : transparent objects appear opaque : Re: transparent objects appear opaque Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: transparent objects appear opaque
From: Alain
Date: 18 Aug 2007 08:41:57
Message: <46c6e915@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/18 06:59:
> Christian Froeschlin <chr### [at] chrfrde> wrote:
>>> Every time a ray is reflected or refracted
>
>> or when just passing through a transparent surface as in your case.
>
>   That's, technically speaking, refraction. The refraction just doesn't
> modify the direction of the ray.
>
>   (One cool developement idea for povray would be, I think, that if a
> surface has transparency, no reflection and no ior, iow. rays just pass
> through unmodified (just taking the color of the surface), povray could
> skip incrementing the recursion counter. That way you could have and
> indefinite amount of transparent surfaces even if max_trace_level is
> small.)

The same thing could be used for only reflective surfaces. The ray could just
bounce.

--
Alain
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

An Hourglass is Female, because over time, the weight shifts to the bottom.