POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to create scene component library? : Re: How to create scene component library? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to create scene component library?
From: Alain
Date: 17 Aug 2007 17:00:54
Message: <46c60c86@news.povray.org>
Marty Schrader nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/17 15:44:
> I am trying to create a library of POV-Ray components to be used in
> creating model rocket designs. (The same considerations would apply to
> any type of design application, though.) I need to make fins, fin sets,
> nose cones, fuselage size reducers, and other components all modular so
> that the rocket being modeled can be altered at will. If I were using a
> commercial design program this wouldn't be a problem, I guess, but the
> whole point here is to make it POV-Ray based and release it to the
> public domain.
>
> Okay, so how do I do this? I have included a simple rocket file to show
> you what I am doing. Note that the surface texture is wrong; I still
> don't know how to paint a regular surface on to a curve. Heh. This is a
> farily accurate rendering of an actual model rocket I fly all the time:
>
>   http://www.theschraderfamily.com/Marty/Images/SlugLaunch.jpg

Pack the macros for the components in an include file. Include required
informations inside that include file.

Some components may best be modeled as meshes: ex.: fins.
Any part with linear sides can be modeled as cylinders and cones. This include
the main parts as airframe, couplers, nose cones and size reducers/expanders.
Make all parts lined up along a specific axis. Have all parts expand from a
common plane: base situated at <0,0,0> and expanding toward +Y.

--
Alain
War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and