POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Need help with POV-Ray !! : Re: Need help with POV-Ray !! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with POV-Ray !!
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 15 Aug 2007 09:06:40
Message: <46c2fa60@news.povray.org>
k1s3k1 wrote:

>im very new to POV-Ray and I have an assignment which is due next month.
>
>I want to make an image of a photo something like this,
>http://www.dskendall.com/images/199812.jpg
>
>Can anyone help me get started? Is it a difficult task to do?
>
>Thanks!

Well, it looks to me as though there are three main parts to the image:
the sky, the mountains, and the shrub-covered plain.  I would recommend
starting with a "quick and dirty" approach to each part and then adding
detail and realism as you go along (and as you learn more about using POV).

For example, you might start by making a sky_sphere that's about the
same color as the sky in the image. Then you could add a tan-colored
plane and make "placeholders" for the mountains (probably unevenly
scaled spheres to start with).  Get everything laid out so that the
objects and camera are positioned about the way you want them, THEN
start working on detail.  One advantage to this type of "top down"
approach is that, when the deadline arrives, you've got, at the very
least, a "sort of finished" project, instead of just bits and pieces. ;)

After you've got the scene laid out, you'll probably want to study up on
the height_field object for making the mountains.  There are include
files (and also third-party programs) available that are very useful for
making shrubbery, and also info on several ways of making a realistic sky.

Hope this helps a bit.

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+