POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : [edit] *.pov file live in modeller ? : Re: [edit] *.pov file live in modeller ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:55:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [edit] *.pov file live in modeller ?
From: Alain
Date: 14 Aug 2007 19:35:57
Message: <46c23c5d$1@news.povray.org>
stu nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/14 19:10:
> +    many thanks for all the great replies.  while I
> now understand the fundamental impracticality
> of loading a [full POV scene file] into a full-blown
> modeller, I still consider it a generally useful idea.
> Perhaps POV-Ray would consider implementing a [retrograde]
> viewer/modeller with the pov distribution itself ?
>      For the purpose I've tried to explain, even a
> wireframe view would work... anything which would allow
> real-time adjustment of objects/lights... it need not
> be a full render view.
>
>      Does this sound any more practical / do-able ?
>
> thanks

Considering how objects are deffined, a wireframe preview is often impractible,
if not downright impossible.
How would you represent an arbitrary isosurface using several user deffined
functions? or even just one? How about a Julia fractal, with the almost infinite
variations it offers? Now, think about a scene containing 1000's of CSG objects
proceduraly generated and placed? And, if the placement of the objects in that
scene depended on the location, and possibly the shape, of the previous ones?

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you look at a matrix transform and