POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why the dark triangle? : Re: Why the dark triangle? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why the dark triangle?
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 11 Aug 2007 07:06:17
Message: <46bd9829$1@news.povray.org>
> Thank you, but none of this makes a difference. The same thing can
> happen with every normal set to <0,0,-1> ( a flat triangle ). Take a
> look at my "high school math" post in p.b.i and you will see that there
> are shadows which aren't.

A normal of <0,0,-1>  is not flat in this instance, since the
triangle is at a different angle.  It's not enough that the
three normals be the same, they need to match the triangle too.

That said, even a flat triangle will show up dark at some angles,
it's supposed to be that way. The fact that you are using a bright
light increases the falloff of the shading so that many of the triangles
are saturated, and the shaded ones are dark by comparison.