POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A*C + (1-A)*B : Re: A*C + (1-A)*B Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A*C + (1-A)*B
From: John VanSickle
Date: 10 Aug 2007 21:55:08
Message: <46bd16fc@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> "John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>
>>The final shot.
>
>     Love it! Although, I'm wondering about the grey, (and maybe what else
> you could do with it - or is that a secret?)  ;)

I have used this technique before.  In "Cliffhanger" (October 2002) and
"Dueling Empires" (Oct 2004) which was my October 2004 entry, I used the
same technique to create the shots where the Greb ships fly into the
warp gate into warp space, or out of a warp gate into normal space.

In these, Shot B was a view of normal space (with the ring that forms
the edge of the warp gate), Shot C was exactly the same, except that the
background was the red-and-black of warp space, and shot A was the mask
that exactly covered the area of the screen contained by the warp gate's
edge.  Also, some #if-#end blocks controlled whether ships were in the
shot or not, so that a ship that went into the gate appeard to enter or
leave warp space in a believable fashion.

In "Showbots" (July 2000), "A Bold Adventure" (Jan 2005), and "Top Ten
List" (Jan 2007), I used the same technique to do the digital censoring
of the caseless robots.  Shot B was rendered at 320x240, shot C was
rendered at 40x30, and Shot A consisted of the censored models, rendered
fully white against a black background, rendered at 40x30.

The only thing to remember is that the objects which are present in both
the B and C shots MUST be positioned identically, relative to the
camera, and if the masking is based on the objects in the scene, then
the mask object must properly fit the objects in the scene, usually by
having the mask objects positioned, relative to the camera, in the same way.

Once you get that going right, the technique is really quite easy.

Regards,
John