POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Steps & Time : Steps & Time Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Steps & Time
From: Simon
Date: 7 Aug 2007 04:25:02
Message: <46b82c5e$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

wonder if someone can suggest some methods for dealing with this:

Currently: Whenever I want to have multiple steps in a scene, I do something
like the following:

#declare Steps = 10;
#declare Step = floor(Steps*clock);
#declare Clock = mod(clock*Steps,1);

#if(Step=0)
    //Some rules for step 0 of the animation
#else
    //Some rules for after step 0, usually keeping an object stable
#end

As you can imagine, this becomes cumbersome very quickly if an object is
doing different things in each step - and it means a lot of nested IFs. In
the demo above, the steps are all of even Length, but that is easily
resolved with a bit of logic and an array.

An alternative that sprang to mind was just to copy/paste into multiple
scenes but that means that if I decide to change something in a previous, I
have to propogate my changes up and down the timeline - also cumbersome.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

(whilst writing this I realised there should be a switch statement of some
kind and *tada* there is - but still, if anyone has any suggestions, please
let me know)