POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with normals and stretched uv maps : Re: Problem with normals and stretched uv maps Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with normals and stretched uv maps
From: Rune
Date: 28 Jul 2007 07:45:14
Message: <46ab2c4a@news.povray.org>
Some additional notes:

The counter-stretching is not the source of the problem. While it is used
here to make the problem more obvious, the normals will be evaluated
incorrectly when a UV map is stretched, no matter how the normal is scaled.

I would say that the problem manifests itself in almost all uses of UV maps
with normals. At least on curved surfaces, mapping a planar texture onto it
will *always* result in some amount of stretching.

I don't know if the behavior is a bug or a limitation. In any case, as long
as it is there, artists should be very cautious about using normals in
combination with UV mapping.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com