POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: andrel
Date: 3 Sep 2007 14:47:09
Message: <46DC57A9.1070307@hotmail.com>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>>> I just find it bizzare that this huge washing machine, spinning away
>>> to violently that it's deafening to stand near and you'd probably be
>>> injured if you touched it, uses about 5% of the power of a teeny
>>> little kettle. Far out!
>>
>> And then you'd probably also be surprised how loud your speakers are
>> when you feed just 5 W into them.
>
> Oh... no, not really. I mean, sound vibrations are really, *really*
> tiny. (Think about it; even when the sound is turned up painfully loud,
> the speaker cones move by such a tiny amount you can't even see them
> move at all!)

have you taken into account that the overlap in frequency resolution of
your ears and eyes is very small? You can not hear anything below 20 Hz
or see anything above 50 Hz.
> AFAIK, the reason we have 200 W amplifiers and speakers isn't so much
> because it takes that much electricity to move air around, but to reduce
> RF pickup in the speaker wire... (Or rather, to reduce the
> *signifigance* of such pickup.)
>
>>> PS. 230 V? I thought it was 250 V...
>>
>> IIRC the spec was changed from 240 +/- 10% to 230 +15% -5% (or
>> something equally stupid) to get us inline with Europe.
At the same time the *rest* of Europe changed from 220 to exactly the
same specification. FYI the UK is *within* Europe.

>> Doesn't your meter tell you the voltage too?
>
> The mater claims 249.98 V.
>
> Also, 49.97 Hz. (So much for "they keep it to exactly 50 Hz to help all
> those clocks that use it". The frequency waivers all over the place!)

RTFM The instantaneous frequency (how is that for an oxymoron) may vary,
but there will be exactly 432000 cycles in a day.