POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I get indexed images? : Re: How can I get indexed images? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I get indexed images?
From: Alain
Date: 18 Jul 2007 21:03:14
Message: <469eb852@news.povray.org>
JSH nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/07/18 12:09:
> Hi!
>
> I've started to work with PovRay recently and I wonder how to get an indexed
> image file. As the standard output formats are .png or similar image formats
> that don't allow any access to the indexed image, but directly contain an
> RGB image.
A GIF image is indexed (into a colours palete), as is a 256 colours BMP, PNG,
TGA and others.

> a) Am I right that .df3 density files contain such indexed image data?
Those are density files, NOT image files. It contains RAW values for voxels
within a given volume. There are no indexes to speak of. It may be tough of as a
kind of volumetric, uncompressed, black and white, targa image. Any form of
indexing is external to the file, independent from it, and totaly arbitrary.

> b) If so, how can I gain access to the .df3 file when I produce an image
> with PovRay?
POV-Ray don't output DF3s, nor does it use them internaly, it can use them to
modulate the density of a media. It can also use them to generate an isosurface.

> c) Is there an even better way to obtain indexed image data?
Convert an image generated to an indexed format: reduce the colour depth to 8
bits per pixel (256 colours) or less (16 = 4 bpp, 8 colours = 3 bpp, 4 colours =
2 bpp).

--
Alain
"We returned the General to El Salvador, or maybe Guatemala, it's difficult to