POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I get indexed images? : Re: How can I get indexed images? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I get indexed images?
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 18 Jul 2007 14:46:58
Message: <469e6022$1@news.povray.org>
> I've started to work with PovRay recently and I wonder how to get an
> indexed
> image file. As the standard output formats are .png or similar image
> formats
> that don't allow any access to the indexed image, but directly contain an
> RGB image.

First off some terminology, "indexed image" means that the palette of colors
is indexed. "Layered image" means that there are multiple image layers
with alpha transparency on top of each other.

> a) Am I right that .df3 density files contain such [layered] image data?

Sort of, they are really voxels conceptually. It's intended that this format
contains densities, not color information.

> b) If so, how can I gain access to the .df3 file when I produce an image
> with PovRay?

I think there's an option in MegaPov for outputing to df3, but I'm not
really familiar with that. In general .df3 files are created outside POV
and then used to control media density (make clouds).

> c) Is there an even better way to obtain [layered] image data?

Yes, use alpha transparency and then combine your rendered images
(.png) in a paint program. You can turn on the alpha channel with +UA.