POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How many objects? : Re: How many objects? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How many objects?
From: Urs Holzer
Date: 16 Jul 2007 10:12:25
Message: <469b7cc8@news.povray.org>
Transient wrote:
> How many objects I can place in a scene? Thousands, millions,
> billions? To be more specific lets say I want to draw a scene with 1
> million spheres. How much time it will take (roughly, on a modern PC)
> ? What are the critical characteristics of a computer (cache,
> frequency, CPU, memory, graphic card) which would let me plot more
> objects faster?

I think you should consider using a 64bit CPU and run 64 bit software on
it. The amount of memory one process can point to is restricted by the
size of pointers. 64 bit CPUs use pointers that are 64 bit log. As far
as I know, the limit on 32 bit CPUs is in practice about 4GB (per
process). On 64 bit CPUs you surely will never reach the maximum.

You can try to estimated the memory usage yourself. Assume 100 bytes per
sphere. This would yield only 100 Mb. So, one million isn't that much
at all. (And you don't even need a 64 bit CPU)

The other things are:
- Number of CPUs (as many as possible)
- Speed of the CPUs
- RAM speed

You should simply try to see what's possible.