POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Asteroid Belt : Re: Asteroid Belt Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid Belt
From: Alain
Date: 10 Jul 2007 09:53:37
Message: <46938f61@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/07/10 05:40:
> I have the feeling that I'm missing something obvious, so excuse me if this
> is a stupid question :-), but...
>
> Why are you filling a cone to simulate an asteroid belt?
> Wouldn't a flattened torus be more appropriate?

In fact, a long cylinder, possibly flatened, would be a good aproximation in
most closeup cases. The cone can be used to produce a kind of forced
perspective, but then, you need to adjust the scaling of the asteroids to the
radius of the cone at the asteroid location.

--
Alain