POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Projecting an image outward from the camera : Re: Projecting an image outward from the camera Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:36:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Projecting an image outward from the camera
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 5 Jul 2007 15:17:41
Message: <468d43d5@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
> My first thought would be to use an orthographic
> camera for the pigment generation, then use a
> planar mapped pigment, the rear of the object
> would be textured wrong, but from the front it
> should look correct.

I tried aligning a planar mapped pigment from the camera to the target,
but the result is terrible. Perspective causes many unwanted problems.

> This is a real stumper... what you'd really want is
> some sort of inverted spherical camera, where the
> rays are shot from a sphere surrounding the look_at.

Actually, a spherical camera would probably work, and I've thought of
this, but I would have to render a huge image for the dirt map just to
match the resolution of the final render.

> You might be able to get a reasonable map for some
> sorts of simple objects by making them hollow and
> rendering with a spherical camera placed inside at the
> center.

The whole point of projecting an image from the camera location is that
everything the camera sees would be ok (minus reflective surface
catching the backside).

Thank you for your ideas!

~Sam