POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Projecting an image outward from the camera : Projecting an image outward from the camera Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:56:53 EDT (-0400)
  Projecting an image outward from the camera
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 4 Jul 2007 14:40:22
Message: <468be996@news.povray.org>
Hi,

The recent ambient occlusion thread(s) got me thinking about a way to
use a radiosity-derived dirtmap pigment which would not affect (final)
render times too much. The idea is to pre-render the object with a white
background and radiosity, and use that image as a mask for the final
image. But I want the image data available as a pigment for the target
object. screen.inc won't accomplish this, AKAIK, plus I like to use a
fisheye lens for all my scenes (I always hide the black circle border).

My most successful attempt used a translated and scaled image with
warp{spherical} applied. Point_At_Trans aligned the pigment to the
target object. The pigment was then translated to the camera's position,
but was applied to the target object. From there I could add different
pigments/textures to the white and black areas, thus creating the effect
of rust in corners, as an example.

The problem is that the edges of the image pigment don't match up to the
edges of the render window. I got pretty darn close by experimenting
with different values, but the image's edge curve is always different.

Has anyone run into a similar problem? Any solutions? Can anyone think
of something that *might* work? I would like to keep using my fisheye
lens camera, but I'm afraid a real solution to my problem would only
work with the standard type.

Thanks in advance~

~Sam