POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparency gives checkers : Re: Transparency gives checkers Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency gives checkers
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 3 Jul 2007 10:13:45
Message: <468a5999@news.povray.org>
Kimberley wrote:

>When I make some the top of 2 layered objects (which have solid color)
>transparent, I get a large checkered pattern appearing, rather than solid
>color. Any suggestions?

I think your question was about transparent pigments, but I think the
guys answered a question about producing images with transparency.  Is
that right?  If so:

I think the dark areas you're seeing are where the translucent objects
overlap (and therefore are darker).  Plus, the high ior value is going
to give light and dark areas.  When I tried replacing  the partly
transparent pigments with various opaque colors, I noticed that you
appear to have some coincident surface issues as well.  Another thing to
watch out for with reflection/transparency is not having a high enough
max_trace_level.

Not related to your question, but I noticed you had a godawfully high
ambient_light setting.  If your scene seems too dark and you're trying
to brighten it, you probably need to lose the ambient_light and just set
assumed_gamma to 1.0.  Also, the combination of high ambient_light,
orthographic camera, and transparent objects with a white background is
going to effectively kill any visible 3D effect.

BTW, based on the occurence of values like "-0.000000," I'm guessing
that this code was generated by some other software...?  What are you
using?  'Cause I really think you might get better results by just,
well, typing your own code.  ;)

Dang, I'm *really* not trying to pick your scene apart, just want to
help...Let us know how this goes, OK?

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+