POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Question about radiosity : Re: Question about radiosity Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about radiosity
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 26 Jun 2007 22:29:44
Message: <4681cb98$1@news.povray.org>
clarkking wrote:
> I've never used radiosity or hdri lighting so that should give some context
> to this current inquiry, and i thank you in advance.
>
> For radiosity to really have an effect on realism in a scene it should be
> used when there is more than one object right?  I mean lets say i was
> rendering a "portrait" of say some geometric object adding radiosity would
> nt have any effect right, except for really long render times.  IN this
> case to increase the realism of the object/scene i need to use HDR right.
> I know it really depends, but the question stands.

Why don't you test it? I always keep a special POV file called
"tester.pov" for these types of things.

To answer your question (I hope): The effects of radiosity can be seen
without the use of HDR or an HDR light probe. Also, you can use HDR
without radiosity. HDR backgrounds can affect a scene either by
reflecting off of reflective surfaces, showing through transparent
surfaces, or through indirect illumination (radiosity).

If you have a white background (not a light probe, just a background
statment set to rgb<1,1,1>), it will illuminate the scene if radiosity
is included in the global_settings block. If you add a light, then you
will see it bounce multiple times depending on the radiosity's
recursion_limit.

In short, you don't need to use HDR in order to use radiosity. Radiosity
alone will increase the realism of your scene.

~Sam