POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 'twas a dark and stormy night... (WIP) : Re: 'twas a dark and stormy night... (WIP) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 22:52:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'twas a dark and stormy night... (WIP)
From: Alain
Date: 23 Jun 2007 08:30:03
Message: <467d124b@news.povray.org>
Grassblade nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/06/22 14:50:
> "Simon" <povray@*NOSPAM*SOWare.co.uk> wrote:
>> The one it made me think of was Maniac Mansion by Sierra - Good ol' ScummVM
>> :)
> Oh yes, that was the one! I knew it was a building starting with a M but
> Mortevielle Manor kept coming back at me.
>> Ideally, I'd like to make the curtains blow but I'm a little unsure how I
>> can pull that off - it's obv not a matter of rotation, I need them to
>> "billow" - I'll see what I can come up with :)
> Not a trivial thing to do AFAIK. Megapov comes with a pretty good cloth
> simulation, but I'm not sure how you'd go about making billowing curtains.
>
>> Thanks for the input!
>> -S
> You're most welcome.

Idialy, you need to have a way to confine the wind to a particular area of your
cloth. I don't know if that's possible.
Next, add some weight to the bottom of the cloth: best to simulate real curtains
by making the cloth come back up some distance (3 to 10% of the curtain's
height). Do the same to the edges but only for a small strip, typicaly only 1/4
or less the width of the bottom trim. This mean that the bottom corners will
have quadruple thickness. I've seen many curtains, mostly light fabric ones,
fitted with a lead cord along the bottom: a string fitted with small lead beads.
Curtains are normaly whider than the window. Have your cloth hang from a
cylinder about 15%~25% shorter than itself, with the side edges lined to that
cylinder.
You may want to increase the weight and decrease the stiffness. Heavy curtains
billow, light curtains flutter.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you downloaded and printed the