POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to simulate a phenomenon : Re: How to simulate a phenomenon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to simulate a phenomenon
From: Chris B
Date: 16 Jun 2007 05:35:43
Message: <4673aeef$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.46734008e9b9c8227180a6bf0@news.povray.org...
>I did a little searching and found that the solution would be to use a
> variable ior and some sort of a wave pattern. But, this is not possible in
> POV-Ray. I will instead try nesting objects with differenet ior inside
> each
> other and see if that gives good results.

Hi Shark,

You may want to try a noisy isosurface. Isosurfaces give you lots of control
over the sorts of perturbations you can simulate.
I hacked the following example together based on Mike Williams' isosurface
tutorial at  http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/combine.htm

Regards,
Chris B.

camera {location <0, 0.8,-1> look_at  <0,0,0>}
light_source { <0, 50, -30> color rgb <1,1,1>}
global_settings { max_trace_level 10 }

plane {y,0 pigment {checker scale 0.1}}

#include "functions.inc"

#declare  S = function {x*x + z*z + y - 1}

isosurface {
  function { S(x,y,z) + f_noise3d(x*10, y*10, z*10)*0.3 }
  max_gradient 7
  contained_by{sphere{0,2}}
  pigment {rgbt 1 } interior { ior 1.03 }
  scale <0.1,1,0.2>