POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Radiosity is really dark : Re: Radiosity is really dark Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity is really dark
From: Alain
Date: 15 Jun 2007 06:02:37
Message: <467263bd$1@news.povray.org>
Sudo nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/06/14 09:03:
> So I've got a scene with radiosity settings like this:
>
> global_settings
>  {radiosity
>    {count 250
>     nearest_count 10
>     error_bound .5
>     minimum_reuse .005
>     brightness 1}}
>
> Yet the scene, a green room with a few green objects lit by an outer cyan
> sphere with ambient 1, renders like this:
> http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/mimir227/povray/greenroom_rad_b1.png
> If I increase the brightness to 2, I get this:
> http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/mimir227/povray/greenroom_rad_b2.png
> But that just artificially brightens the scene. I shouldn't have to do that
> to get the scene to be decently lit, or so I gather from the documentation.
> Here's what the scene looks like with just a point light and no radiosity:
> http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/mimir227/povray/greenroom_conv.png
> These images were generated with Display_Gamma left unset. I've tried
> playing around with the gamma settings, both assumed_gamma and
> Display_Gamma, but anything that makes this scene bright enough causes
> other scenes to be too bright. This skeleton of a scene, for instance:
>
> sphere
>  {3*z, 1
>   pigment {rgb <.75, .75, .75>}
>   finish {diffuse 0 ambient 1}}
>
> renders a circle that is more than 75% gray when I use the same gamma
> correction that makes the green room look right. Saving POV-Ray's output to
> a different format from PNG doesn't seem to help.
>
> So I guess my question is, what am I doing wrong? Radiosity isn't supposed
> to be this dark, is it? And I should be able to use the same gamma settings
> for conventional lighting and radiosity, right?

The cyan sphere is not bright enough. Some possible solutions:
- As you tried, add an actual light_source. Make it an area_light.
- Increase the ambient around 10~20.
- Usr rgb <.5,10,10> for your sphere.
- Place a cyan box with a high ambient and/or rgb value in front of the window,
but out of sight from the camera location.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you can describe in perfect,