POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray w/ subdivision : Re: POV-Ray w/ subdivision Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray w/ subdivision
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 10 Jun 2007 01:00:23
Message: <466b8567$1@news.povray.org>
>I have a couple questions regarding the POV-Ray with Subdivision project
> (http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/).
>
> 1) Is this program made obsolete by any recent beta versions of POV-Ray
> 3.7?

No. That is, it should still execute fine.
However, it's a modified version, the improvements in the 3.7 betas
are not in that code... I'm unsure if the authors will update POV-sub
when 3.7 comes out of beta. Note: the standard POV mesh code
is highly optimized, so IMHO it's unlikely that such extended syntax
will be adopted as standard.

> 2) Is there a way I can add conditional checks to my pov file to check
> whether I am running the modified executable?

Well, I guess it depends. You could write a batch file to swap the
standard executable with the modified one, and have it swap
an include file at the same time, then #include it and test the
variable you declare there.

-- file subdivision.inc
#declare SUBDIVISION = on;

-- file subdivision.bak