POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Student project : Re: Student project Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Student project
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 10 Jun 2007 00:03:10
Message: <466b77fe$1@news.povray.org>
> I've some student project and i don't know  how to start...
> I've head model in Rhino and i would like to export it to some txt file
> (igs?), and change some points in Java. I will get list of NURBS, which i
> must render in Povray. Can anybody help me?

In general POV works with triangle meshes instead of NURBS...
Probably the easiest way to get your image would be to
open it in Rhino, create a mesh from your NURBS surface, then
export the mesh as OBJ format, then convert that to POV
files with PoseRay.

Rhino Tutorial --
http://mediaservers.vtc.com/player/movieplayer.php?cipher=0d|0o87||||3h49339||3n9sr|5i37b&size=Large&movieName=Meshes

PoseRay -- http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/

If you must have full NURBS from inside POV you may need
to use Bezier patches, but you might need to do lots of hand
coding, conversion, math, and the renders would be slower.

(POV manual) 3.4.2.1  Bicubic Patch

J.W. Stolk's NURBS macros --
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/attachment/%3Cweb.43f88f0c20eff568a8399d8d0@news.povray.org%3E/nurbs.pov.txt