POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparent 'mist' : Re: Transparent 'mist' Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent 'mist'
From: Alain
Date: 24 May 2007 18:36:01
Message: <46561351$1@news.povray.org>
Gavin nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24 / 05 / 2007 09:24:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use povray to display some scientific data. I have the
> concentration of a drug (as its released from a nanoparticle) as a function
> of x,y and z coordinates. I was trying to display it as a kind of mist. I
> originally tried to have lots of transparent boxes (for each grid point)
> and make them absorb light depending on the concentration. However, I
> seemed to be getting diffraction-like patterns emerging, presumably from
> the edges of all the boxes stacked together (although I don't know how as
> povray doesn't include diffraction). So I tried to use merge to collect all
> the boxes together, but now povrays ground to a halt.
>
> Am I trying to display this data in a really stupid way? Does anyone know a
> better way of doing this?

Have a box or sphere just large enough to completely contain your points.
Make it hollow to enable it to contain a media.
Add an interior{...} block and a media.
Use your function to modulate the dencity of that media.
Make the media emissive so that it's visible without an external light source.
	You could also use scatering media and have some light shine on your media.
Emissive media will render faster, scatering media is slower, but more realist
and will cast shadows.
When using media, the default sampling method is 3, never increase intervals,
increase samples. It's much faster, and increasing intervals can cause nasty
artefacts.

--
Alain
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.