POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture : Re: CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture Server Time
1 Jun 2024 15:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture
From: Warp
Date: 20 May 2007 13:59:31
Message: <46508c82@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> One of the main reasons the switch was made from AGP to PCIe is that
> PCIe is bidirectional, allowing efficient communication in both
> directions.

  Compare the data transfer speed between the CPU and the FPU with the
data transfer speed between the CPU and the GPU. Now consider the sheer
amount of data which has to be transferred for a raytracer.

  Unless you can implement the raytracer as a shader, I don't think there
can't be any advantage.

--
                                                          - Warp