POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture : Re: CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture Server Time
16 Jun 2024 22:11:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture
From: Chambers
Date: 20 May 2007 13:21:22
Message: <46508392$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> Perhaps if
>> Intel surprises everyone, and releases their next graphics chip as a
>> double precision FP monsters, we'd be able to take advantage of that,
>
>   Exactly how would it be different from current FPUs?

Because it would be on a graphics chip?

There has been some serious speculation that Intel will simply release a
chip with something like 256 double-precision FPUs on it as Unified
Shaders, and rely on shader programs to provide *all* graphics
functionality (that is, they wouldn't hardcode *any* graphics stuff at all).

While it would be slower than an equivalent unit from nVidia or DAAMIT,
it would also be much more flexible, and utilizing it for non-graphics
work (like HPC) would be extremely easy compared to today's cards.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com