POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering memory limitations : Re: Rendering memory limitations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering memory limitations
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 18 May 2007 15:04:42
Message: <464df8ca@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> well, forget it:  CSG really turns povray into a memory hog no matter what
> you do.  It has gone over 200MB as well and I halted again.  It just took a
> lot more time to get there.  Important lesson here:  better few unions with
> lots of objects than lots of unions with fewer (but huge!) objects...

Well, the real killers seem to be the individual pigments on
your 300.000 objects. The stats on my system for your scene 1:

Largest  Alloc:             2400016 bytes
Peak memory used:         832856013 bytes

Applying the same pigment for all objects in the outermost union:

Largest  Alloc:             2400016 bytes
Peak memory used:         374455173 bytes

Actually, I usually prefer to use a blob object for rendering a
lot of spheres if I can get away with it, because it seems to render
a lot faster, especially with intersections such as water bubbles.
Blobbed version also helps memory (but yields domed cylinder caps):

Largest  Alloc:            60000016 bytes
Peak memory used:         152359044 bytes

I intentionally ignored the parse time: For the first version
most of the time was spent swapping, for the other versions the
times are similar and probably dominated by the SDL text
parser and not by efficency of data structures.